Kolkata (formerly Calcutta), the city of Joy, is situated on the east banks of Hooghly river. Kolkata is the capital of the West Bengal. The city, Kolkata is considered as the “Paris of East” as there is a happy amalgamation of different styles and cultures. Kolkata is the third most densely populated city in India. The city is regarded as the financial and the cultural capital of Eastern India.
The city gained much reputation at British time, moreover, till 1912, it had been the capital of India. Kolkata represents both old and new, the orient and occident. The city is the birthplace of four best Nobel Laureates: Rabindranath Tagore, Ronald Ross, Mother Teresa and Amartya Sen.
Interesting Facts about Kolkata
- The Howrah station of the city is considered as the busiest railway station in India, and the Howrah Bridge is one of the most massive cantilever bridges in the world.
- Calcutta Polo Club, the world’s first Polo Club.
- Eden Gardens Kolkata, the third largest stadium - as per seating arrangement.
- Salt Lake Stadium of Kolkata, the world’s second-largest football stadium
- The Birla Planetarium in Kolkata - Asia largest Planetarium and world’s second largest.
- The Victoria Memorial, the most significant building in Kolkata is dedicated to the memory of Queen Victoria.
- Calcutta, one of the fewest cities in the world to have Trams.
- The only city in India to have hand-pulled rickshaws.
- Famous for magnificent Durga Puja Pandals and sweets like Rasgulla, Lobongo Lotika, Kheer Kadam, Patishapta, Sita Bhog and more.
- On festivals like Diwali, Christmas, New Year etc people decorate the streets with beautiful lights.
Lounges in the Kolkata
With Neo Pins,
you can locate any lounge of Kolkata within seconds. We have listed down all the lounges of Kolkata, West Bengal
to ease your work, use the proper filters to get the best results.